Linux for Human Beings
Groovix systems are based on Ubuntu, the most advanced and most popular Linux distribution available.
Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with both community and professional support.Ubuntu includes more than 16,000 pieces of software, but the core desktop installation fits on a single CD. Ubuntu covers every standard desktop application from word processing and spreadsheet applications to web server software and programming tools.
All of our systems use AMD 64-bit processors. Buying 64-bit hardware means that you can take advantage of future 64-bit software when it is ready. 64-bit processors can run 64-bit software OR 32-bit software. For everyday computing the advantages of 64-bit software are negligible. Some software does not have a 64-bit version available yet, or the 64-bit version is not as reliable. We pre-install 32-bit software on our systems by default, but future upgrades will likely be 64-bit. If you would like your system preloaded with 64-bit software right now, we can accomodate that, but some programs and features may not be supported.
Gnome vs. KDE
Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop environment by default. The Gnome desktop strives for simplicity and usability. Being the Ubuntu default, we have found that it gives the smoothest Ubuntu experience.
The KDE desktop is available as part of the Kubuntu version of Ubuntu, but can also be added to a standard Ubuntu installation. KDE tends to look a little more like MS Windows. The choice is trivial since you can try both Gnome and KDE out and switch back and forth every time you log out.
The Groovix Difference
We don't just sell Linux computers, we design Linux computers to ensure that you have an enjoyable computing experience. At Open Sense Solutions, we have engineered the software, tools, and documentation that is required to create a fast, fun, and stable Linux machine. Tell us what you want, plug it in, and it works. If you need help at some point, we have the same system as you, so we can tell you exactly how to customize and fix it.
Other Linux vendors offer a wide variety of hardware and install a Linux distribution on it using default settings. That is the easy part, and most people could buy the hardware and install the OS themselves. However, if you want to configure the installation or get additional components installed, you may end up spending countless hours searching help forums and reading mailing lists. Once you find a solution, it may not even be applicable to your hardware and software. Our systems eliminate, or at minimum reduce, the amount of effort needed to get the system to your liking.
Groovix Enhancements to Ubuntu
- We do everything to set up a machine that we would do for our own business or home machines. Anyone can install Ubuntu, but getting a nice system up and perfectly-configured can take a lot of time.
- We add our own Groovix respository of software with key functionality fixes and extra software that is not included in standard Ubuntu respositories. Examples include our connect2groovix live tech support tool, multi-user software, fixed drivers for VIA onboard video cards, an automated RealPlayer installer, and TV tuner modules.
- We install software and modify configurations to make your hardware fully functional. This includes support for dual-core cpus, cpu frequency scaling, accelerated 3D video, DMA enabled on all disks, modems, WiFi cards, and tv-tuners with remote controls.
- We install extra software programs that are not included with the base install, but are highly desirable in a desktop environment. When you get a new computer, there is a usually a set of important programs you immediately want to install. We try to take care of that for you. As we get more user feedback our install list will grow. We help you select the best open-source programs as you switch from Windows to Linux.
- For modem users, we include all of the Ubuntu repositories including "universe" on the hard disk to avoid long software downloads.
- We provide a utility for the user to install and setup some license-encumbered programs that may only be installed by the end-user. These include Flash, RealPlayer, Java, fonts, DVD-playing utilities, and multimedia codecs. You'll have all of these setup with just a few clicks of the mouse.
- If you ever want to re-install Ubuntu from scratch, our installer script creates /home on a separate partition and automatically answers all configuration questions.